MCAF

They are often haughty and aloof. They have a serious aversion to bathing. They eat disgusting things. They prefer their females unshaven. They are certain of their superiority to the point of arrogance even though they are neutered. But unlike the French, these boys are sweet, lovable fur balls who do not care for Jerry Lewis movies. And they never, ever surrender.


Name: CFOMahm
Home: Metro Detroit, Michigan, United States
About Me: Italian/Polish (yes, that does make me both opinionated and dense, but there is definitely good eating at my house!). Fan of bad jokes, crossword puzzle addict, old enough to know better, but still young enough not to care. Known to the Gang of Three as "Mommy Cat - Almighty Keeper of the Can Opener and Mistress of the Front Door".
See my complete profile

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Kids Sure Can Surprise You

What a great kid. Child #1 did something sweet, special and thoughtful for his mom yesterday. After work he called to see if I would be home Friday evening. I told him that I would and he said great he would see me later. After a while he calls again hoping to talk to CEO Dad. Seems Child #1 is somewhere south of Toledo and there is a bunch of highway construction he hopes his father can route him around. (The CEO used to work in that area.) I asked him what in heck was he doing down there? He tells me he is on a mission to fetch a belated Christmas gift and I'll see when he gets home. Curiosity piqued. What in the world is he up to? I'm not THAT big a fan of Tony Packo's, he's surely not driving all the way to Cleveland to get us a Slyman's corned beef sandwich, it's the weekend and they close up about three in the afternoon. Cedar Point isn't open. Well, he arrives home about 8:30, having made a roadtrip to get his mom a case of..... Left Handed Milk Stout! The best beer I have ever had – well it is a stout actually. While on a trip to Tennessee with a friend of mine back in '04, we went to see a band (The Carburetors, check out their website. Rockabilly at it's finest!) at Barley's Tap Room in Knoxville. The place had a huge selection of microbrews, many that are unavailable in Michigan. I really love a nice dark beer and tried several of the ones available, but once I tasted the Left Hand Milk Stout, I knew this was the beer of my dreams. Full, rich, thick, the milk sugar gives it just a hint of sweetness and the chocolate hops add a delicious subtle undertone to the brew. Unfortunately when I came home and looked up the website of Left Hand Brewing Company I found that they do not have a presence in Michigan and the nearest distributor was about 150 miles away. Child #1 got hold of the distributor last week and arranged to have a case set aside for him at the nearest point to us that they deliver to. It was waiting for Child #1 with his name on it. The boy drove 130 miles after working all day to put a big smile on his mom's face. We each had one last night - well actually the CFO had 2 - and while I don't think he liked it as well as I do, he thought it was pretty fair. (We do have different tastes in beer, and now he definitely knows the type I like best.) The effort and thoughtfulness that went into his surprise will make every one of those beers all that much sweeter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home